Sunday, February 21, 2010

Invention of Lying

What a brilliant mind of the person who came up with the idea for this movie! I watched it last night and I have to say, Ricky Gervais is so entertaining. He lives in a world where humans always tell the truth, fiction doesn't exist and people take each other at their literal word. The main character is an unsuccessful screenwriter who gains fame and fortune, and maybe the girl of his dreams by saying things that aren't true.

I had to stop and think to myself, just how true this story could have been at the onset of his epiphany after the very first incident of his "invention". Did someone in early, early times make this discovery and it spread like disease? Can this world ever get back to (if we were ever there), complete honesty? What's wrong with being honest? Seems like the world has made dishonesty and lying very prosperous. I've found that when I make a practice of being honest and telling truths, I fall deeper and deeper into a financial hole...(particularly with the city, county, state and u.s. government)! Once you are honest with them, you get audited and red-flagged for quite some time and the only way to get un-flagged is to begin a series of new lies.

I have to admit, I don't like this world we live in and I don't particularly care for most of the people who share it with me. Generally, people I meet and encounter each day are in some kind of "mood" that has absolutely nothing to do with me, but somehow, I am to blame and it comes out in the "encounter".

Let's try and do something different folks, be kind to everyone you come in contact with this week. I'm not saying lay it on thick, just smile and say hello, say excuse me, offer help if they need it, open a door, or just help someone to smile if they are down....what harm could it do?

No comments:

Post a Comment